Coordinating Water Quality Projects for Landowners and Communities

Supporting Farms

Conservation Districts help farms balance productive farming and healthy waterways. Certified Small Farms are required to have Nutrient Management Plans, receive 4 hours of educational credits every five years and follow the Required Agricultural Practices (RAPS).

Greening Up

The Conservation District coordinates Stormwater Master Plans for communities and helps develop Green Stormwater Infrastructure (GSI) projects.  These GSI practices are a key strategy statewide to cleaning up rivers and streams in Vermont.

Reducing Erosion

The Municipal Road General Permit was established for all towns in Vermont to reduce the amount of erosion from hydrologically connected road segments.  To comply with the permit, all towns must inventory their connected road segments.  Need help?

Restoring Rivers

Miller’s Run River (pictured) is a tributary to the Passumpsic River. The Passumpsic River Watershed is the largest watershed in Caledonia County, and the focus of much of our work.  Do you want to learn more about your watershed?

News and Events

NEK Nutrient Management Update Class
March 31, 2020 10:00am – 2:00pm
UVM Extension: 374 Emerson Falls Road
St. Johnsbury, to register call 424-3149

Do you have a Nutrient Management Plan that needs updating?  Have you forgotten how to navigate goCrop?  All certified small farms are required to have an updated NMP with soil samples every 3 years and a manure sample each year.  The Conservation District is partnering with UVM Extension to support small farms in developing and maintaining their NMPs.  Join our class or call the Conservation District for assistance.  If you don’t have an NMP but need one, we can help you with that too.

Looking for our Plant Sale? 

Sorry, we’re taking another year off to regroup. 
If you need to order bareroot trees, shrubs, or perennials, we’d love to hear from you! 
We can still help with special orders and conservation projects.  Email us with your inquiry! 

Swale installed at Fenton Chester Arena in Lyndon, filtering runoff from the parking lot before its piped to a stream

Green Stormwater Infrastructure Local Installations Underway

Stormwater Master Plans in Caledonia County have identified many project opportunities where stormwater can be better managed to reduce erosion and improve water quality.  Installing Green Stormwater Infastructure (GSI)works to direct stormwater from roads, parking lots and other surfaces to green spaces so water can infiltrate and filter pollutants.  This reduces the amount of dirty stormwater that enters catch basins and gets piped to rivers.  These GSI practices are funded by the State of Vermont’s Clean Water Initiative and Ecosystem Restoration Program.  Several projects are getting installed this summer in Burke, Lyndon and St. Johnsbury – with more to come next year!

Hydroseeder Share Program Still Up and Running

The towns of Danville, Ryegate, Groton and Walden have joined our Hydroseeder Share Program. The program involves four towns sharing a grant-funded hydroseeder to help treat ditches and roadsides – speeding up maintenance and ensuring good cover on bare ground to prevent sediment runoff to streams and rivers.  The program is funded by the State of Vermont’s Clean Water Initiative and was coordinated by a partnership with the Lamoille, Essex and Caledonia County Conservation Districts.  With hydroseeders costing between $26,000 and $33,000, this program only costs towns $500 to join and $200/year after the first year.

Caledonia County NRCD Board Meetings

Open to the Public! Every second Wednesday at 4:00pm   Conservation Districts are local subdivisions of state government (municipal organizations) under Vermont’s Soil Conservation Act cooperating with landowners and municipalities to apply conservation practices to the land. The Caledonia County Conservation District sponsors and coordinates technical and financial assistance to address water quality, stormwater runoff, erosion, soil quality, watershed planning and conservation education. Conservation Districts provide a unique and powerful vehicle for landowners to become involved in influencing local conservation work and state programs. Our board meetings are held at 481 Summer Street in St. Johnsbury at the second floor conference room. Call if you’d like to learn more or attend a meeting! 802-424-3149